Together we are strong!
In cooperation with the organization GermanZero, we want to use the means of direct democracy (citizens’ petitions and decisions) to create the basis for implementing sufficiently committed climate protection at the level of Jena’s city politics and administration.
Stages of the Klimaentscheid Jena
- Preparation of the voting question
- Submitting a voting question to the City for legal review, adjusting if necessary.
- Start of the citizens petition: Approx. 6000 valid signatures must be collected within four months.
Here we are now
- Verification of signatures for validity by the city
- Acceptance and resolution of the demands by the City Council (or a modified version with preservation of the basic concern in consultation with the persons of trust of the petition)
- Citizens vote
If the simple majority votes in favor, the decision is adopted with the binding force of a city council resolution.
Who can sign and vote?
All citizens of Jena who have registered their main residence here, have reached the age of 16 and belong to a state of the EU are entitled to sign the petition and to vote in the decision.
What are the chances of success?
Other cities have shown that even if the decision or the petition is not successful, the attempt and the broad support it signals from the population can set things in motion. It will be worth it in any case.
More information on direct democracy is available here: https://thueringen.mehr-demokratie.de/